Tuesday, August 30, 2016

All of the U.S Presidents have been White. Is Obama Really Black?

August 30, 2016

Yesterday, in class we were discussing why all of our presidents in the United States have been white. I though to myself Obama is black. He is not white. I was reading "The Engaged Sociologist", and realized what the professor was trying to point out. Obama was white because of the culture he grew up in along with the society he grew up in as well. He went to Harvard University was well educated and dressed well. It was like the example in the book, we could have lived in another country for a long time and would self identify with our race. Our race being deemed by the idea that certain groups of people look certain ways. Although truly I believe what makes us who we are is in our customs, morals and norms. I was born in the U.S yet identify as Mexican, however if I was to go out of the country I would identify myself as American. I say I am Mexican because both of my parents are from Mexico, I grew up speaking the language and with the customs of Mexicans, but I am also Americanized because I have lived in the U.S I speak the language, have been in the school system and have a predisposition as to what people should act like so if I was told to choose what I am I would choose American. I know for a fact that I think the way of life in Mexico is fairly different and I am so accustomed to the American way of living I would prefer to be known as American, not only that but I am not in close touch with my Mexican roots, I prefer to speak English watch my American shows, yet I prefer Mexican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment