Wednesday, October 5, 2016

KW Exercise 6.2


I was greeted at the bookstore, the chic behind the counter asked how I was doing and I hesitated. I felt pressured to say that I was fine, like I typically do. However, because of this social experiment I decided to say what was really on my mind. I told her my day was terrible, that I had just gotten into a terrible argument with my mother because she drinks too much. Her face literally read WTF?! Confusion is what I saw in her face. Many of those who I either approached and started a conversation and was open about how my day truly was going, seemed in shock and confused, probably thought I was crazy too. One asked why I was telling them personal information; he said, “I don’t even know you”.  I just thought believe me bro, this is awkward for me to. There was a point when I was talking to a girl and she actually listened and comforted me and opened up to me, I was in shock. I felt relieved that someone could relate to me but the fact that we were complete strangers made that moment special. After doing this experiment I have learned that, as a society, we never truly express how we really feel, especially while being in public with strangers. I think it has become this way out of being fearful. Our society is so worried about what others will think of us; we do not ever show whom we really are or how we really feel. Most of us do this even with members of our own family and close friends. I do not know if we really even have an idea of who we really are. From the time that we are born, we learned to put on these different acts so much that it is hard for many people to know their individual self.

No comments:

Post a Comment