Friday, October 21, 2016

KW Exercise 8.8


As I was growing up my parents never discussed racial issues. We actually began discussing about racial issues when I became aware about them. Probably when I was about 12 years old or so. We would make racial jokes like my brothers and I. My parents would not tolerate that type of behavior. When we did speak about racial issues it had to do a lot with immigration laws and mistreatment of those who were colored. My parents did not raise us to bad talk on those who are different than us. They definitely did not talk about color blindness, well they did and didn’t. Like when we were younger and oblivious to the world they did, they told us we were all the same and equal. We were unaware of the differences of how people were treated. Then came a point where we grew up and saw the world for what it really is, (never knew exactly when I saw the world through a different lens, not the lens of a child’s colorful world).
I remember there was a time where field workers were getting treated like animals if not worst and my parents went to some protest down in Southern California, I also remember that they would talk about how police officers would do racial profiling. Being a Latina, I have experienced a few racial comments within the last couple years. I remember that one time we were at the grocery store and my mom was paying. The cashier told her aloud the amount that was due and she was all confused, I just stood there telling her in Spanish. There was a white couple behind us talking about how we were taking to long and how dumb my people were, and how we should shop at our markets not there's. I was so enraged I wanted to turn around and cuss her out or something maybe punch her in the throat. I didn't. But once we paid I kindly turned around and told her to have a nice day in English and she was baffled, I smiled greatly and walked away, but that was painful.
I've heard people call my dad a wet back because he was working on our yard, right outside of our own home. People are so harsh, and I hate that race and ethnicity are just socially constructed I can't believe or begin to understand why? I do understand I just wish that things were different that we were united. But lets face it racism will forever stain our soil. although we are no better than each other, some were simply more privileged than others.
I appreciate from one point of view that my parents sheltered us from racisim when we were younger because we weren't forced to grow up in that way sooner. I also appreciate that they didn't infuse us with hatred or anger towards a group of people. And that they raised us to be proud of who we are and where we came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment