Thursday, September 15, 2016

H- The Sounds of Silence (pg 109-117)


Silence such a powerful thing. Nonverbal communications speak louder than words themselves. As I was reading this section I couldn't help but to agree to everything. There was one thing that made me question the fear of public speaking. There were four zones of space or distance. The first being the most intimate and close in distance and the most vulnerable. Then you work up to the fourth zone in which there is a huge distance and is typical for public speaking. I wondered how we felt threatened and uncomfortable when people violate our personal space yet when we put our selves in front of a group with huge distance we panic (myself included). I thought it was pretty interesting, but of course there are different things to worry about for public speaking. Anyways, I realized that we do have a certain way of going through society with space and it varies from culture to culture as well as country to country. When my grandparents from my father's side visited from Spain they were all into the kisses and hugs and being all in my bubble. The kisses where already to much for me and I began to tense up just like the book described. We tend to become hostile and try to do anything we possibly can to reach our comfort or to set up that barrier of distance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment